Sunday 15 November 2009

Remembrance Day Parade


Mel and Donny are in the cubs and brownies, so they got to take part in the Remembrance Day Parade last weekend. We arrived on time, that is to say ludicrously early and spent half an hour shivering in the car while the Leaders sorted out flags for the parade and distributed fluorescent yellow jackets to temporary traffic controllers. I ended up with one, which helped to keep the wind off.
They marched up to the church for the service. It was very moving. Maybe, as I get older, the reality and enormity of the ‘Great’ Wars starts to sink in. I have a better idea of the sheer scale of it now, than I did when I was a kid.
At the end of the service, the veterans laid wreaths. Everyone filed back outside and the parade paraded back to the car park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message here...