Thursday 6 January 2011

The Quandry

I was hoping for a bit of time off. You know, get the house clean, update the blogs, sort out an exercise programme, maybe even start learning some more Chinese... then this agency sent me an e-mail: Biology A level teacher wanted 4 days/week.

Well, I've never worked for this agency. I registered with them a year ago, then backed off when I saw their rates. Basically, they only pay 2/3rds of what I'm used to getting as supply. To put that in context: I was earning more than their current daily rate when I was doing supply in 2004 as a newly qualified teacher.

Amusingly, when I first registered with them and saw the rate they were offering, I phoned them up and asked if they had accidentally put the Teaching Assistant rate on the form by mistake! I wasn't even being sarcastic - I genuinely thought it was a mistake.

So, anyway, I sent them an e-mail about the Biology post along the lines of "Show me the money" and they promised to talk to the school and blah blah blah. Anyway, ultimately I have an interview for this two-term position at a very nice school tomorrow. I thought everything was tickity-boo until I had a generic "this is your contract" e-mail from the agency late this evening, quoting the terrible rate as the rate I would be paid.

Frankly, it isn't worth getting out of bed for, with diesel at £1.32 a litre and a 50 mile round trip every day to said nice school. On top of that, as it is long term, it would prevent me from taking a better paid job before September. It would involve planning and marking (which day to day supply doesn't have to do), plus it is teaching A level, which is certainly not for the faint-hearted. There is no way I am going to work for peanuts.

So, my dear readers, do I go to the interview tomorrow, in the hope that the 'contract' e-mail was just a generic one and an acceptable rate will have been worked out between the school and the agency. Or do I stay at home and badger some of the better paying agencies to find me some work? Do I even care if I'm not employed for the next few months?

I think I'll sleep on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message here...