Sunday 13 September 2009

Cryptozoology, friends and tennis

The stunning achievements of this week include finally watching a DVD I bought two years ago on a whim. One of my favourite films is A Knight's Tale starring the late Heath Ledger. One of the supporting roles in that is played by Paul Bettany, who I've seen in other things. He is the star of the current film about Darwin (Creation, is it? I've not seen it yet.) Anyway, he also starred in a film called Wimbledon.

It is notably about a lawn tennis player who goes all the way to winning once he falls in love with his female counterpart. Whilst Paul Bettany and Kirstin Dunst do their best, the plot is thin, lacking all but the most predictable twists and humour. Still, it was watchable and I'm glad I finally found time to stick it in the DVD player.

Yesterday was mostly taken up with visitors. Kate, my climbing partner, popped in for a coffee, and then our old friend Peter came for dinner. We've known Peter for ages. He is a fascinating character - interested in various world religions from Voodoo to Native American, ex-mayor of Bewdley, and the man that conducted our wedding ceremony all those years ago. He has been out of touch for a few years, so we had a lot of catching up to do. It was really nice.

My plan to get two days work last week failed miserably. I spent lots and earned nothing. Whoops! I did write an article on cryptozoology, which I hope to sell to some newspaper or other, but we will have to see if I can. Cryptozoology is the study of "hidden animals" - in other words the beasts of myth and legend, such as Bigfoot or fairies. Some people are still out there, looking for evidence of their existence. Anyway, I wrote all about it and we'll see if someone wants to pay me for my musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message here...