Thursday 10 September 2009

A Life of Coffee?

The week is speeding past and the supply agencies have made noises along the lines of "well, it is the first week back... we don't start getting any requests for teachers until at least next week... they all know you are available..." Ah, phooey, guess I get an extended holiday, then.

So, I've spent the week lurching from friends to relatives, drinking tea or coffee with them. It's been rather nice. I went on an extra-long walk with the dog this morning. I started off at the school after dropping the kids off. I must have taken a wrong turn in the woods, because I ended up at the visitor's centre about an hour later. Mum came and rescued me and drove me back to my car. Then, we went and had a cup of tea (surprise!) and listened to the dog panting for about an hour. He slept all afternoon (poor thing!).

On the job front, apart from the lack of work from the supply agencies, I have seen a couple that I'm going to apply for. One is in teaching, at a Pupil Referral Unit for kids that can't cope with mainstream school. Dealing with challenging children might sound a bit like hell, but the maximum class size is five. It's as much counselling as teaching, and I guess on that front it is far more rewarding than mainstream teaching.

The other one is working in conservation, advising farmers how to protect the wildlife on their land. That would use my MSc and PhD knowledge and would be really good fun. I'd get to travel and research information and help organise habitat and species conservation. I would so much like to get that one. We'll just have to see what the universe has planned for me.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I am reading your posts daily, glad you are home, and think of you often! I just haven't had time to comment as much. Things are so hard for us here, husband is very sick with his crohns and unemployed...I of course and not working and still home with the kids trying to find ways to make ends meet. Been spending all my time on the phone with creditors, making food from scratch, trying to distract the kids from the reality of it all. So far so good, but it has been hard to be online as much. But I thinking of you and your cute family!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message here...