Monday 29 December 2008

Christmas Lectures

I've got to go shopping today. Not only are we down to the last wilted vegetables at the bottom of the fridge, but it's only a few more days until Donny and Mel's birthday at the start of January. It's always a challenge trying to find something they want that they didn't get for Xmas, but at least it is half the price compared to what it was a week ago, thanks to the Sales. So, bargain hunting I shall go, after lunch.

The general TV viewing this year has been uninspiring. Usually Christmas is the time if year I tape more things than I can possibly watch, but this year it's been very poor. I half watched something last night, that was reviewed as "An eerie ghost story and poignant tale of love." Nope, it was a tale of Victorian lesbian duplicity. There were no ghosts, and the love aspect was a little dubious too. It wasn't what I was expecting at all.

The best bit about this season is the Christmas Lectures. These run for five days and are broadcast from the Royal Institute in London. They are always science based and they pick a different topic every year. This year it is about computers, last year was about human endurance and the year before was about mathematics. I forget further back. Anyway, they bring science to life with fantastic props and experiments (see the website - it's got lots of cool games and the lectures from previous years as web-casts).

The first one of this year is tonight, and I'm really looking forward to it. It doesn't matter that I don't know much about computers, or that I'm not hugely interested in them. They just do the lectures so well, that I know I'm going to love it. Unlike the ill-fated Victorian lesbian love triangle show.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message here...