Friday 1 May 2009

Libraries and sunshine

It's my day off, allegedly. I got the kids up and ready for school and dragged them in through the school gate a few minutes after everyone else was already in lessons. Nick had helpfully left me the red car, which has a dodgy car alarm. It goes off everytime I lock the doors with the dog on the inside. I think the residents near the school have got tired of hearing my car wailing at them every Friday morning, so I tied the dog up by the school gate instead, where he proceeded to whine for an hour. You can't win.

I help out at the kids school on a Friday, changing the little ones' library books. It's fun and I enjoy doing it. Once I'd worked my way though Class One's reading materials, I collected the dog and headed for the forest.

Elaine met me there and we had a walk and a chat, which was lovely. The sun was shining, despite the weather-man's threat of rain for today. It was nice and warm and the time sped by. We had some mango juice and jaffa cakes at the cafe.

Next stop was Bewdley Library. There is a series of books by Debi Gliori, which I think Donny would really like. They are about some weird, monstrous family called the Strega-Borealis or something like that. Anyway, I managed to find the first two in the series for her, so we'll see what she thinks when she gets home from school.
;
I sat by the river and had a baguette in the sun. It was really nice to sit outside. Passers-by gave Pal lots of fuss and attention.
;
After that I went on a probably futile hunt for a farmer with a milking shed. I'm taking a group of my special needs kids to see how cheese is made. There's a dairy near Leominster which has organised tours. To tie in with that I'd like to show them how cows are milked - hence the milking shed idea. The down side of this plan is that I need a friendly farmer willing to allow kids into his milking shed in this day and age of Health and Safety and TB, let alone pandemic Swine-flu.
;
Anyway, so far I haven't located a willing farmer, but I have had some suggestions as to who I could ask, so I haven't given up yet. I'll keep you posted on the 'saga of the milking parlour'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message here...